About Us

History

Greenwich Tennis Club was established in 1967.  The land on which the courts stand was originally inhabited by the Cammeraygal clan of the Guringai nation.  The site bounded by Robert St, Wallace St, St. Lawrence St and Mitchell St was bought in 1880 by the "Council of Education" for a provisional school, before growing to become a public school in 1881. New school premises were erected in 1881 and remained there until 1909 when the school was moved up the peninsular to the corner of Wardrop St and Greenwich Road.  The headmaster's residence remained on the site until 1967. Leemon Reserve, the site within which the existing tennis courts are located is named after John Leemon, the third and longest serving (1895 - 1930) head teacher at the primary school.

The first known evidence of a tennis court on the site comes from a 1943 aerial photograph which shows an Ant-bed type court.  It is thought that this was used by the "Greenwich Point Tennis Club", about which not much is known.

The Greenwich Tennis Club was started in 1967 when a constitution for the club was prepared for the Lane Cove Council by Mr. John Kennedy from the Greenwich Point Tennis Club. In late 1966/67 the single Ant-bed court was replaced by two new loam courts and the Greenwich Tennis Clubhouse was constructed and completed in July 1967. The loam court was stabilised in 1968 and the current synthetic grass tennis courts were initially laid in early 1988 as were many other courts in Sydney.

A detailed history of the club is available through the fullowing Club History Link.

The Club

The club is managed and administered by an active committee that works to achieve the aims of the club, encouraging local community participation in the game of tennis by promoting social and competitive play in a convenient and inviting environment.

The club's policy of inclusiveness encourages players of all skill levels to participate and enjoy their tennis.

There are opportunities to play tennis independently on a casual basis, in social groups, in organised internal competitions throughout the year or in the annual Club Championships. Interclub matches are also organised from time to time and there is strong Junior participation with court time prioritised for coaching and after-school play. More details are included on our tennis page including competition rules, draws and results.

Members have access to the clubhouse and the tennis courts with the opportunity to play organised club tennis or to use the courts for casual play, free of any court hire fees.

Visitor fees are payable by non-members when playing with a member and court hire fees are payable for those who are neither members or guests.

Coaching at the club is available to all players through an accredited professional tennis coach.

The New Membership page provides details of membership options and includes an online facility through which to apply for a new membership and to renew existing memberships.

Life Members

Life Membership has been awarded to a select few members who have served the Club over a long period of time. Life Members are shown on the honours board below.

 



 Photos from the 1980's

Margaret Frost, Barry Sagar (Life Member), Birgitta Bernerius, Ray Frost

Marian Howard, Tess Sagar (Life Member), Frank Simpson (Life Member)

Ladies Mid-week Tennis 1967 - 2009!

 

Keith Taylor (Life Member) and Helen McLean (Mixed Doubles Champions)

Keith and Marie Taylor